Useful FAQ’s to help you quickly solve your Internet speed concerns.
My Internet connection seems to be slow.
To confirm if your internet connection is running as expected, you can conduct speed tests (try 2 or 3 to get the most accurate results) at http://speedtest.eastlink.ca. Internet speeds can vary due to a number of factors, expect results at 80% or better. (Note: Rural Wireless and DSL services are exempt from this 80% guideline).
- If you are experiencing internet performance issues please consider the following:
- Internet speed can be impacted by the presence of a virus and/or spyware infection on your computer(s). Run antivirus/anti-spyware weekly to ensure you have no infections
- Unplug the power cord of your modem for 10-15 seconds and then plug it back in to refresh your Internet connection. If you have a router, do the same with it
- Have you moved the modem to a different room? When your modem was installed, only one outlet in your home was made active for Internet connectivity. The modem must remain connected to that original outlet. If you’ve moved the modem, trying moving it back to its original location
- If you have a router, try bypassing the router by connecting the modem directly to one computer with an ethernet cable. Then run speed tests again
- Another significant impact to speed and performance are active downloads/uploads. If you are running any file sharing processes (Torrents, iTunes, uploading to YouTube, etc.), disable them completely and run speed tests again
- If you are still experiencing speed problems, please contact us by calling 1-888-345-1111 or click the online chat button for further assistance