Expand Your DVR Storage
Do you record endless amounts of HD Content? Finding it difficult to manage the recorded content of your favorite shows? Deciding what to keep and what to erase is always a difficult decision… if only you had more space! Well, now you do with Eastlink.
DVR Expander allows you to purchase an External Hard Drive and hook it up to the reverse side of your DVR - no more managing your content! Best of all, this technology is available to you at no monthly charge.
In order to function properly, the External Hard Drive must have the following specifications:
- Must be an "eSATA" Hard Drive - it can not be firewire, or USB 2.0.
- Minimum 16 MB Buffer and 7200 RPM
- Includes an "eSATA" cord, not firewire, or USB 2.0.
OK – I’ve got my External Hard Drive, now how do I set it up?
- Turn off your DVR
- Use the eSATA cable that came with your External Hard Drive to plug into the eSATA port on the back side of your Eastlink DVR. A flat opening labeled eSATA. On most receivers, it is under the HDMI port.
- Once the hard drive is plugged into the DVR, turn on the receiver.
- Using your remote control, follow the prompt on from the iGuide to format the External Hard Drive
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Where can I purchase an eSATA Hard Drive?
You can purchase an eSATA hard drive at many popular retailers including online at Amazon.com and in-store and online at Best Buy.
2. What digital receivers does DVR Storage Expansion Technology work with?
Eastlink DVR Storage expansion is available with all of the following models: DCX 3400, DCT 6412, DCT 6416.
3. Are USB 2.0 or Firewire hard drives compatible?
At this point eSATA is the only interface with the above mentioned DVR's.
4. Can I watch the content on the External Hard Drive from any TV?
Once the External Hard Drive is formatted, that content is only compatible with that DVR.
If you are subscribed to Eastlink Whole Home DVR, and have an external hard drive attached, any receivers in your home linked to the DVR can view the content recorded in the hard drive!
5. How much content can a 1 TB hard drive hold?
A 1 TB Hard Drive can hold approximately 200 hours of HD 1080 video content!
6. Where does my content get stored?
Your video content will be stored on your eSATA external hard drive. Once the hard drive is full, your Eastlink DVR will then store any additional the recorded content.
7. What happens to my content if I get a new DVR?
If the hard drive is connected to a new/different DVR, the previously recorded content will not be available. Additionally, the Hard Drive would need to be reformatted to be used on that new DVR.
*Eastlink does not rent or sell external hard drives (eSATA). Customers must purchase their own hard drive to take advantage of this feature.